The National Study of Jail Suicide – 20 Years Later.
This report represents the third collaboration between the National Institute of Corrections and the National Center on Institutions and Alternatives (NCIA) regarding national studies of jail suicide. During the 1980s, two NCIA studies found high rates of suicide in county jails throughout the country. Although suicide continues to be a leading cause of death in jails, the rate of suicide continues to decrease.
This course will present the most comprehensive updated information on the extent and distribution of inmate suicides throughout the country, including data on the changing face of suicide victims. Most important, the study challenges both jail and health-care officials and their respective staffs to remain diligent in identifying and managing suicidal inmates.
This publication provides important information for mental health practitioners and other service providers to increase their understanding about this significant and important problem. Psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors, and marriage and family therapists and nurses can benefit from this course. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to learn more about suicide.
Authors: National Institute of Corrections and the National Center on Institutions and Alternatives (NCIA)
Learning Objectives: This course will provide a professional with an overview of jail suicide, a review of current research being conducted on identifying risk factors jail suicide. Specifically, a professional will:
- Recognize the prevalence statistics, and the characteristics of jail suicide.
- Describe the characteristics of of the victims of jail suicide.
- Identify methods for preventing jail sucide.
Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 4 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 290
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2020 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .