Texas 6 Hour Ethics Course for Social Workers
This 6 hour ethics continuing education course is designed to meet the license renewal requirements for Licensed Social Workers (BSW, MSW and CSW) in the state of Texas. It is based upon three publications, the NASW code of ethics, an article by Gutheil and Gabbard and an article developed by the Office of the Surgeon General.
This course begins with a review of the National Association of Social Workers (NASW), Code of Ethics. Remember why you became a social worker in the first place. Read the NASW code of ethics for a review of the foundations of our field. This material will remind you of the core principles that guide all social work practice, regardless of setting and client population. This is the current code of ethics that is utilized at this time.
The second source in this ceu course is a web based article by Gutheil and Gabbard that systematically examines “the concept of boundaries and boundary violations in clinical practice.” The article reviews relevant literature on the subject and identifies crucial areas that explain the difference between harmful and nonharmful boundary issues that are not sexual misconduct. According to the abstract, “While broad guidelines are helpful, the specific impact of a particular boundary crossing can only be assessed by careful attention to the clinical context.”
The last article in this course is a comprehensive report on Mental Health published by the Office of the Surgeon General of the United States. This ceu material provides licensed marriage and family therapists, professional counselors, therapists and other healthcare professionals with a review of current information on ethical issues about confidentiality; values underlying confidentiality, research on confidentiality and mental health treatment and the current state of confidentiality law. This course material is designed for both licensed clinicians and administrators who work in both private and public settings.
Licensed Clinical Social Workers, Master Social Workers and Bachelor level Social workers can benefit from this course. It is also appropriate for other therapists who work within a multi-disiplinary environment such as professional counselors, psychologists, and marriage and family therapists, and other therapists who want to learn about ethics and the subtle differences between the mental health disciplines can benefit from this course. This course may also be helpful for other practitioners, such as midwives, dieticians and nutritionists who also need continuing education in the area of ethics and who must practice the principle of confidentiality. Most states that require continuing education courses for licensed professionals require ethics courses. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to learn about ethics, confidentiality and legal issues.
This ceu course was specifically designed to meet license renewal requirements for CSWs, MSWs and BSWs in Texas; however it is equally appropriate for social workers in other states as well as other counselors, psychologists and substance abuse specialists.
This continuing education course serves as an excellent resource for licensed clinical social workers, licensed professional counselors, licensed psychologists, licensed marriage and family therapists, interns, chemical dependency counselors, and other licensed therapists who require continuing education in ethics and must follow rules of confidentially in their practice. Nurses and midwives who need continuing education related to mental health treatment or psychotherapy can also benefit from this course.
This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to learn more about ethics, confidentiality and legal issues related to social work, mental health and professional counseling.
Authors: NASW; Gutheil and Gabbard; and The Surgeon General’s Office of the United States
This course is based upon 3 source documents. The questions occur in the order that the articles are presented. Each article can be found by clicking on the web links below.
Objectives: This course will provide a marriage and family therapist or counselor with information regarding ethics and confidentiality. This course covers ethics and legal issues in mental health. Specifically, a professional will:
· Summarize the ethical principles that reflect social work core values.
· Distinguish between harmful and nonharmful boundary issues.
· Identify specific laws and legal provisions regarding confidentiality that apply nationwide.
Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This 6 hour ethics course may meet other states requirements for license renewal.
Ohio Professionals – This course is NOT accepted for license renewal by the Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapy board.
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 282
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
This course is Non Interactive .