Professional Supervision for Mental Health & Addiction Nurses
This CEU course on supervision for nursing in mental health and addiction settings was written and published by Te Pou o Te Whakaaro Nui, the National Centre of Mental Health Research, Information and Workforce Development. It is designed to provide a review of current approaches to professional supervision internationally and in the New Zealand mental health and addiction sector.
According to Te Pou, “Professional Supervision in mental health and addiction services is a key aspect of working with service users and their families. It enables practitioners to engage safely and effectively with a focus on a quality experience for everyone involved. Professional Supervision establishes boundaries around the relationships between practitioner, service user, family and support agencies. The result is effective treatment outcomes. Ultimately, supervision enables growth, development and new ways of working that contribute to a positive experience for all people who have contact with mental health and addiction services.” The executive summary states that “This project was designed to investigate current approaches to professional supervision for mental health and addiction nurses within District Health Boards (DHBs) and Non-Government Organizations (NGOs) across New Zealand and internationally. The report begins with a literature review of international best practice in relation to professional supervision for mental health and addiction nurses. This is followed by survey research on the provision of professional supervision across DHBs and NGOs. This involved mail and telephone surveys with DHB Directors of Mental Health Nursing, NGO nurse managers and a sample of supervisors currently providing professional supervision.”
This continuing education course serves as an excellent resource for nurses as well as social workers, psychologists, counselors and other licensed mental health professionals who work in the area of mental health counseling or addiction treatment. This CE on supervision helps to build skills through knowledge as a means to earn CEUs. It is designed specifically for nurses, however, psychologists, social workers, counselors and marriage and family therapists who work with multidisciplinary teams can benefit from this course and earn supervision continuing education credits. This course may also be helpful for other practitioners, such as midwives and dieticians and nutritionists who may also need a continuing education course in supervision.
This course is appropriate for intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to learn more about supervision in mental health and addictions settings.. It is also a good resource for licensed professionals who need continuing education. CEUs in clinical supervision are required for clinical supervisors’ renewal in many states.
Authors: Te Pou o Te Whakaaro Nui, the National Centre of Mental Health Research, Information and Workforce Development.
Learning Objectives: This course will provide a professional with detailed information about clinical supervision. Specifically the practitioner will:
· Distinguish between known models of professional supervision.
· Identify the models of supervision that emphasize psychotherapeutic approaches.
· Distinguish between line management supervision, peer supervision and professional supervision.
Citation: McKenna, B., Thom, K., Howard, F. and Williams, V. (2008). Professional supervision for mental health and addiction nurses: A review of current approaches to professional supervision internationally and in the New Zealand mental health and addiction sector. Auckland: Te Pou o Te Whakaaro Nui, the National Centre of Mental Health Research, Information and Workforce Development. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 4 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 275
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2020 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .