Clinical Supervision: A Practice Specialty of Clinical Social Work
This CEU course on clinical supervision is based on the position statement of the American Board of Examiners in Clinical Social Work (ABECSW) developed in 2004. It details the purposes of supervision, domains of supervision, and approaches to supervision that a social work may employ. Although it is written from the social work perspective, the concepts and principals easily apply to other areas mental health and psychology practice.
In this paper, the preparations needed in order to become an advanced clinical supervisor are reviewed, as well as the ongoing commitments of advanced supervisors. A clear and concise definition of clinical social work supervision is provided in addition to a detailed accounting of the core competencies that are required to be an advanced clinical supervisor.
According to ABECSW, “This position statement is intended to be definitive and comprehensive in its treatment of Clinical Supervision as a specialty within the overall practice of Clinical Social Work. It was undertaken to address, from the practitioners’ perspective, the salient features of clinical supervision and its impact on quality of care and public protection. No area of practice has more power to affect the competent delivery of mental-emotional health services in America.” (2004, p. 2)
This continuing education course serves as an excellent resource for clinical social workers, psychologists, counselors and other licensed mental health professionals who require CEs in clinical supervision. It helps to build supervision skills through knowledge as a means to earn CEUs. Psychologists, social workers, counselors and marriage and family therapists can benefit from this course and earn clinical supervision continuing education credits.
This course is appropriate for intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to learn more about clinical supervision. It is also a good resource for licensed professionals who need continuing education. CEUs in clinical supervision are required for clinical supervisors’ renewal in many states.
Authors: American Board of Examiners in Clinical Social Work (ABECSW)
Learning Objectives: This course will provide a professional with detailed information about clinical supervision. Specifically the practitioner will:
- Identify the purposes and domains of clinical supervision.
- Distinguish between practical approaches to clinical supervision.
- Identify the core practice competencies of clinical supervision.
Citation: Clinical Supervision: A Practice Specialty of Clinical Social Work (2004). A Position Statement of the American Board of Examiners in Clinical Social Work. Retrieved from http://www.abecsw.org/images/ABESUPERV2205ed406.pdf on 2/10/2010. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 4 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 274
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2020 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .