Record Keeping & Practice Guidelines by APA
This continuing education course is based upon the Record Keeping Guidelines developed by the American Psychological Association (APA). It provides a framework for decision making regarding how to keep client records. Both state and federal law require the maintenance of records for psychological service. What to include in those records and what not to include involves complicated choices, this CEU course is designed to help psychologists and other licensed clinicians make those determinations.
According to the APA, “Psychologists should be familiar with legal and ethical requirements for record keeping in their specific professional contexts and jurisdictions. These guidelines are not intended to describe these requirements fully or to provide legal advice. These guidelines are intended to provide psychologists with a general framework for considering appropriate courses of action or practice in relation to record keeping. Record keeping procedures are directed, to some extent, by the Ethics Code and legal and regulatory requirements. Within these guidelines, more directive language has been used when a particular guideline is based specifically on mandatory provisions of the Ethics Code or law. However, some areas are not addressed in those enforceable standards and regulations. In these areas, more aspirational language has been used. This document aims to elaborate and provide assistance to psychologists as they attempt to establish their own record keeping policies and procedures.
This CE course serves as an excellent resource for psychologists and licensed mental health professionals who require continuing education in the subject of record keeping and ethics. It helps to build skills in decision making regarding client records, which are essential to good practice as a means to earn CEUs.
Psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors and marriage and family therapists can benefit from this course and earn continuing education credits. This course may also be helpful for other practitioners, such as midwives and dieticians and nutritionists who may also need a continuing education course in documentation.
This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to learn more about documentation and ethical decision making. It is also a good resource for licensed professionals who need continuing education.
Authors: American Psychological Association (APA)
Learning Objectives: This course will provide a professional with detailed information about ethics and boundaries in psychotherapy. Specifically, a professional will:
· Distinguish the limits and parameters of the record keeping guidelines developed by the APA
· Identify the guidelines for record keeping identified by APA
· Identify rationale for each guideline for record keeping
Citation: American Psychological Association (APA) (2007). Record Keeping Guidelines. American Psychologist V62, N9, 993-1004
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 270
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2020 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .