Understanding PTSD and Aging
This course is based upon material published by the National Center for PTSD and is available as an open access article.
PTSD can be a problem for anyone who has gone through or witnessed a traumatic event, whether recently or long ago. Not all PTSD is combat-related; it can be caused by any experience that threatens the life of oneself or others, including sexual trauma or physical abuse. This course is written for older adults who have or think they may have PTSD, for people who have been diagnosed with PTSD in the past, but find their symptoms reoccurring or changing as they age, and for their care providers. The course provides information about PTSD, its causes, signs and symptoms. In addition, the effect of aging on PTSD is covered. Recommended treatments are reviewed, as are information and resources for those afflicted.
This course on Post Traumatic Stress Disease and aging is designed for social workers, professional counselors, psychologists, nurses, and substance abuse counselors, who do clinical work. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop or increase their knowledge of aging and PTSD. The course material includes a review of treatments. It may also be useful for licensed clinicians who require clinical continuing education courses for license renewal.
Authors: National Center on PTSD
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding PTSD and aging. Specifically, a professional will:
– Recognize the signs and symptoms of PTSD
– Summarize how aging can affect PTSD
– Explain how treatment can help PTSD sufferers
Citation: Understanding PTSD and Aging. National Center for PTSD, September, 2019. www.ptsd.va.gov
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 1 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- The National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Ce-Classes.com has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6320. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Ce-Classes.com is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2023
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 2397
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .