Treatment of Depression in Children and Adolescents A Systematic Review
This course is based upon material published in the Comparative Effectiveness Review and is available as an open access article.
Depressive disorders can affect long-term mental and physical health conditions, lead to poor functional status among children and adolescents, and increase risk of suicide. The purpose of this course is to examine the benefits and harms of pharmacological and nonpharmacological treatments for child and adolescent depressive disorders.
Despite the variety of approaches, there remains uncertainty regarding overall efficacy, as well as age-dependent and disorder-dependent variability.
This course on depression in children and adolescents is designed for social workers, professional counselors, psychologists, nurses, and substance abuse counselors, who do clinical work. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop or increase their knowledge of depression treatments in children and adolescents. The course material includes a literature review of interventions. It may also be useful for licensed clinicians who require clinical continuing education courses for license renewal.
The course is based on a journal article which includes research. It contains statistical analysis and data that some clinicians enjoy reading and others do not. A major benefit of reading research-based articles for continuing education is they provide practitioners with the latest findings in their field.
Authors: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information the treatment of depressive disorders in children and adolescents. Specifically, a professional will:
- Recognize the effects of CBT combined with SSRI treatment in children and adolescents with depressive disorders
- Summarize the effects of CBT alone as a treatment for children and adolescents with depressive disorders
- Distinguish the risks and benefits of SSRI treatment alone for children and adolescents with depressive disorders
Citation: Treatment of Depression in Children and Adolescents: A Systematic Review. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Pub No. 20-EHC005-1-EF. Comparative Effectiveness Review Number 224. April 2020
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 1 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- The National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Ce-Classes.com has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6320. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Ce-Classes.com is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- EMDR Consulting NBCC Approval EMDR Consulting, LLC has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6853. EMDR Consulting, LLC is solely responsible for all aspects of this program for NBCC CEs.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2023
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 2396
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .