Robert Miller – Feeling-State Addiction Protocol Webinar
February 22 and 23, 2020
Substance and behavioral addictions such as gambling compulsions, sex addictions, and smoking have been notoriously resistant to treatment. The Feeling-State Theory (FST) of Addiction presents a new understanding of the etiology of addiction. FST hypothesizes that addictions are created when a person experiences an intense positive feeling that becomes “fixated” with the behavior. This fixated positive feeling is called a feeling-state and is the cause of the addictive behavior.
With this new understanding of addictive behavior, the Feeling-State Image Protocol (FSIP) uses the Image Transformation Therapy protocols to break the fixation, resulting in a complete resolution of behavioral addictions and the elimination of the urges and cravings of substance addictions. The resolution for behavioral addictions is so complete that, for example, a gambler can actually return to gambling without activating the compulsion.
Dr. Miller first developed Feeling-State treatment using a modified form of EMDR called the Feeling-State Addiction Protocol (FSAP). After developing Image Transformation Therapy, a completely new approach for treating trauma, OCD, anxiety, and depression, the ImTT protocols were adapted for Feeling-State treatment.
Because 75% of the workshop is applicable for using with either the FSIP or FSAP protocols, people who are EMDR trained will also find this workshop useful.
The presentation will explicate the FST hypothesis, present research data, case histories, and describe the process of utilizing the FSIP. Participants will practice the skills described in the didactic portion of the presentation. An article describing FST has been published in Traumatology, September 2010; vol. 16, 3: pp. 2-10. A research study of the FSAP approach was published in the November 2012 issue of JEMDR.
Dr. Miller is currently in private practice in Vista, CA. and doing research on the application of ImTT for the treatment of OCD, trauma, anxiety, co-dependence, and many other disorders.
All times are PST
Saturday 9 am to 5 pm (Lunch 12 -1 pm)
Sunday 9 am to 4 pm (Lunch 12 – 1 pm)
2. Participants will be able to identify 3 differences between the standard EMDR protocol and the Feeling-State Addictions Protocol.
3. Participants will be able to identify the 3 sets of beliefs targeted for comprehensive treatment using the FSAP within the EMDR protocol.
4. Participants will be able to describe how to use the FSAP for both behavioral and substance addictions.
5. Participants will be able to describe the difference between avoidance issues and FSs dynamics in regards to addictive behavior.
6. Participants will be able to describe the different treatment for Sensation-FSs from non-Sensation-FSs.
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit. Social workers participating in this course will receive 10 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This training does not offer ASWB ACE credit to social workers.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 2237
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
This course is Interactive.