Suicidal Thoughts and Behaviors in Substance Abuse Treatment: A Literature Review
This course is based on a publication by SAMHSA about addressing suicidal thoughts and behaviors in substance abuse treatment. This literature review “is on the topic of addressing suicidal thought and behaviors in substance abuse treatment. There are three sections: a review of the recent literature, an annotated bibliography of the literature most central to the topic, and a general bibliography of other available literature. It includes literature that addresses both clinical and administrative concerns. The review is not intended for academics. Rather, it is written for clinical supervisors, counselors, and administrators who are seeking to apply” accurate information to their work. This course serves as an excellent resource for mental health professionals who would like to build or refresh their knowledge about addressing suicidal thoughts and behaviors with clients especially those in substance abuse treatment.
Psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors and marriage and family therapists can benefit from this course. This course is also helpful for other practitioners, such as certified addictions counselors or substance abuse counselors. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their skills in the areas of treatment of suicidal thoughts and behaviors and substance abuse treatment.
Learning Objectives: This course will provide a professional with through review of the literature regarding suicidal thoughts and behaviors with specific emphasis on substance abuse clients. Specifically, a professional will:
- Identify the extent of the problem of suicidal ideation and attempts and how to assess these problems in a clinical setting.
- Identify key risk factors, warning signs and precipitating events for suicide as well as protective factors.
- Distinguish effective treatment interventions for suicidal thoughts and behaviors.
Citation: AHCPR Archived reports, Put Prevention Into Practice and Minnesota Health Technology Advisory Committee SAMHSA/CSAT Treatment Improvement Protocols 50. TIP 50. Addressing Suicidal Thoughts and Behaviors in Substance Abuse Treatment: Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series 50; Part 3, Section 1, Addressing Suicidal Thoughts and Behaviors in Substance Abuse Treatment: A Review of the Literature. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 3 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 222
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2020 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .