Prevention of Medical Errors Updated for 2019
Live Workshop January 25, 2019
This Medical Errors course has been by the following boards:
· Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling.
· Florida Board of Psychology
· Florida Board of Nursing
· Florida Council of Licensed Midwifery
· Florida Council of Dietetics and Nutrition
· Florida Electrolysis Council
This Medical Errors (prevention) course has been updated for 2020 and includes information from recently published studies. The course covers all the Florida board required content from the boards listed above. It reviews the major causes of medical errors conducted by health professionals with a focus on the medical errors that are possible for social workers, psychologists, counselors, marriage and family therapists and other therapists. The effects of medical errors on patient safety and care from a mental health perspective are described as well as methods to keep both clients and providers safe. The process of root cause analysis and its role in the prevention of medical errors is reviewed with a clinical example provided. In addition, elements and procedures for error reduction and prevention and patient safety are also discussed.
This course provides the licensed practitioner with an overview of medical errors, their causes, effects, and approaches to prevent medical errors from the perspective of mental health professionals, social workers, psychologists, dieticians and other licensed professions.
Attention Florida Psychologists:
Ce-classes.com has been approved by The Florida Board of Psychology to provide this Medical Errors course. Our status for the medical errors course is “Approved”. We have been approved since September 2006.
This course meets the mandatory 2 hour continuing education requirement for prevention of medical errors for many licensed professionals in the state of Florida. It is also required as a pre-requisite for licensure for many licensed professionals in the state of Florida.
· Sign in 9:15 am
· Course Begins 9:30 am
o Overview of Cause / Effects of Medical Errors
o Omission vs Commission
o Med Errors in Psychological Settings
o Root Cause Analysis
o Practice Guidelines
· Course Ends 11:30 am
· There are no breaks in this live 2 hour course
You must sign in and out and be present for the entire presentation and complete a course evaluation to earn CE credit for this course. No partial credit will be awarded.
About the Presenter:
Toni DiDona, Ph.D., L.C.S.W. Toni earned her undergraduate degree from the University of Miami and both her M.S.W. and Ph.D. degrees from Florida International University where she received the Academic Excellence Award in 1989. She holds an active license in the state of Florida and is board certified as a clinical supervisor for social work, mental health and marriage and family therapy. She has over 30 years of experience in the field, including clinical work, teaching and administration in mental health settings. She has over 14 years of full-time teaching experience and has taught at the graduate level at 4 major universities in the south Florida area. She has practical experience in accreditation for CARF, JCAHO and MSA. She has experience in training and development, child and adolescent therapy, special medial populations including HIV, SED children and head injury. She is currently a professor at CAU where she was awarded the Distinguish Professor of the Year in 2007.
This course will provide mental health practitioners, social workers, psychologists, and other licensed behavioral health professions with the ability to:
· Identify major causes of medical errors conducted by health professionals
· Describe the effects of medical errors on patient safety and care from a mental health perspective
· Describe methods to keep both clients and providers safe
· Describe the process of root cause analysis and its role in the prevention of medical errors
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- The National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Ce-Classes.com has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6320. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Ce-Classes.com is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2023
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners – CE-Classes.com meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors – CE-Classes.com meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Interactive .