EMDR and Beyond Presents: Using the Body in EMDR in Each of the Eight Phases with Martha Norton
Novmeber 15, 2019
In-person location: West Des Moines, IA
We know that when traumatic events occur, they are stored in the body. As EMDR therapists, we need to be able to add techniques that interrupt the implicit responses to trauma, bringing these into the explicit in order to heal. This presentation will demonstrate body focused techniques used with one client through the 8 stages of EMDR.
This is an intermediate workshop that is open to all EMDR clinicians who have completed EMDR Comprehensive Training.
Martha Norton LMHC, MS, IADC, CCDP-D has worked in the mental health field for 35 years as a therapist, educator, and trainer. Martha is a certified in EMDR and is an EMDRIA Approved EMDR Certified Therapist and Consultant. She is a Certified Sensorimotor Psychotherapist and Coach.
She received her Masters of Science in Counseling from the University of Vermont. She worked at Iowa State University in the Student Counseling Services for 24 years. She has worked in private practice for 10 years.
Martha has worked with adults, adolescents and children, couples and groups with issues such as: Depression/ Anxiety, Complex Trauma/PTSD, Eating Disorders, Grief, Substance Abuse, Family of Origin Issues, Adoption/Attachment Issues, Diversity and Multicultural Trainings. Martha was on the founding board of the Eating Disorder Coalition of Iowa. Martha has received specialized training in working with early life and complex trauma including Ana Gomez’s Intensive Child Specialist training.
Timeline: Day 1
8:30-8:45 Overview and Objectives
8:45-10:00 Foundation: Why focus on the body according to the experts?
10:15-11:15 Phase 1& 2
11:15-11:55 Phase 3 – 8
11:55-12:00 Review and Closure
Participants will be able to:
- Identify 3 theoretical perspectives on the importance of focusing on the body.
- Recall the addition of sensory, body focused techniques to working with traumatized clients is useful to enhancing EMDR with traumatized clients.
- Practice specific examples, through a video case study, of implementing sensory techniques in each stage of EMDR.
- Demonstrate one body based resourcing technique.
- Demonstrate a body based closing technique.
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit. Social workers participating in this course will receive 3 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This training does not offer ASWB ACE credit to social workers.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 2210
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Interactive .