Addressing Suicidal Thoughts and Behaviors in Substance Abuse Treatment
This course is based on a publication by SAMHSA about addressing suicidal thoughts and behaviors in substance abuse treatment. This course provides an overview of treatment for suicidal patients by discussing the relationship between suicide and substance abuse, and by describing suicidal thoughts, behaviors, risk factors, and warning signs. This course also addresses the essential counseling skills needed for addressing suicidal clients. Additionally, a four-step process is described for addressing suicidal thoughts and behaviors in substance abuse treatment. This course serves as an excellent resource for mental health professionals who would like to build or refresh their knowledge about addressing suicidal thoughts and behaviors with clients especially those in substance abuse treatment.
Psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors and marriage and family therapists can benefit from this course. This course is also helpful for other practitioners, such as certified addictions counselors or substance abuse counselors. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their skills in the areas of treatment of suicidal thoughts and behaviors and substance abuse treatment.
Learning Objectives: This course will provide a professional with an overview of addressing suicidal thoughts and behaviors in substance abuse treatment. Specifically, a professional will:
- Explain the risk factors, warning signs, and basic suggestions for addressing suicidal thoughts and behaviors.
- Discuss the essential counseling skills needed to work effectively with clients who are suicidal.
- Describe the four-step process for addressing suicidal thoughts and behaviors in substance abuse treatment.
Citation: AHCPR Archived reports, Put Prevention Into Practice and Minnesota Health Technology Advisory Committee SAMHSA/CSAT Treatment Improvement Protocols 50. TIP 50. Addressing Suicidal Thoughts and Behaviors in Substance Abuse Treatment: Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series 50; Part 1, Chapter 1, Addressing Suicidal Thoughts and Behaviors in Substance Abuse Treatment: Information You Need To Know. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 4 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 221
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2020 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .