October 10 and 11, 2019
This 2-day training a teaches participants the skills and strategies for incorporating EMDR therapy into internal restructuring and creation of safety and attachment for parts of self, creation of effective resource team and integration of internalized parent and protector/controller into resource team, time-orientation for parts of self, installation of a new bonding contract, and creation of a therapeutic story prior to reprocessing stages to maximize positive EMDR therapy outcomes.
Although presented material can be used with DID clients, such application is not the focus of this session. Lecture, films, demonstrations, Q & A, skills practice, and handouts will allow participants to apply strategies immediately with their own client.
Ann E. Potter, Ph.D has worked over 40 years in the mental health field as a psychiatric nurse, educator, therapist, psychologist, evaluator, researcher, writer, presenter, and consultant. She is a certified therapist and approved consultant in EMDR. She has piloted outcome research related to phase-based trauma treatment (DBT/EMDR) for adults and published articles on the roles adults played as children in alcoholic families, books on trauma treatment, and articles on EMDR therapy.
Debra Wesselmann, MS, LIMHP is a member of the faculty of the EMDR Institute and is on the editorial board for The Journal of EMDR Practice and Research. She conducts research and has authored and co-authored articles and chapters, including two chapters co- authored with EMDR founder Francine Shapiro, Ph.D., and books related to attachment and trauma. Her latest books include a treatment manual for treating attachment trauma in children and accompanying parent guide.
THURSDAY OCTOBER 10th Unconditional Goodness
8:00-8:30 am – Check-in, coffee and food
8:30-10:30 am – Introduction to Strength-Based Philosophy, Use of Therapist Self, Internal Attachments/Structure, AIP Model-Parts/States, P-A-C Model, Velcro Kids, Demo.
10:30-10:45 am – Break
10:45-12:15 pm – EMDR Preparation Phase-Goals & Steps for Resource Development, Safe Places/Higher Powers for Adult Self and Child Parts, Container, Time Orientation, Videos & Practice.
12:15-1:15 pm – Lunch
12:15-2:15 pm – EMDR Preparation Phase–Resource Team (RT)-Brainstorming goals, characteristics & members, Demo/Video. Resource
Team (RT) Installation, Time Orientation, Demo/Video & Practice.
2:15-2:30 pm – Break
2:30-4:30 pm – EMDR Preparation Phase—Getting Permission for Trauma Work, Parts’ Work-Negotiating with Critical Parent & Emotion
Regulator-Controller, Videos. Parts’ Work-Tucking in Child Parts, Video, Practice.
4:30-5:00 pm- Q & A
FRIDAY OCTOBER 11th Healing Attachments
8:00-8:30 am – Check-in, coffee and food
8:30-9:45 am – Healthy External Attachment Patterns, Attachment Cry
9:45-10:00 am – Break
10:00-11:30 am – EMDR Preparation Phase-New Attachment Experiences for the Child Parts of Self, Trouble-shooting, Video and Demo.
11:30-12:30 pm – Lunch
12:30-1:30 pm – EMDR Preparation Phase-Strengthening the Authentic Adult Self, Video & Demo.
1:30-2:30 pm – EMDR Preparation Phase-Early Bonding Contract, Video and Demo.
2:30-2:45 pm – Break
2:45-3:45 pm – Therapeutic Story, Video, Demo & Practicum.
3:45-4:30 pm – Emotionally Corrective Relationship.
4:30-5:00 pm – Q & A
- Identify effective Safe Place for Child and Adult parts of self.
- Develop supportive inner Resource Team.
- Identify effective time orient younger/other parts of self.
- Practice inner dialogue/parts work to integrate Nurturing/Protective Parent and Emotion Regulator-Controller into Resource Team.
- Identify new attachment experiences for the child part of self.
- Develop a therapeutic story for adults in the format designed by Joan Lovett MD.
- Explain how attachment trauma is reflected in both the internal and external attachment systems through the language of the AIP model.
- Apply strategies to provide an emotionally corrective experience to improve clients’ attachment patterns
- Apply therapeutic strategies to assist clients in giving themselves permission to do trauma work.
- Develop awareness of the use of therapist emotional presence as agent of change.
To register for this Live Workshop please visit: REGISTRATION