The County Of Fresno Presents: Motivational Interviewing
October 10 and 11, 2019
In person location: Fresno, CA
Motivational Interviewing (MI) is an evidence-based, client-centered, brief counseling approach that addresses the common problems of ambivalence in health behavior change. This two-day beginner training will use many interactive exercises, videos, and slides to teach you how to use MI in brief interventions with clients, who are facing mental health and substance use problems. It will teach MI’s four basic skills: open-ended questions, affirmations, reflective statements, and summarizations (OARS), brief MI tools that can be used to quickly engage clients, and how to address the common problem of handling discord between you and your client.
This training will also link MI to other models that can be helpful in your work with clients challenged by behavioral change. These will include: stages of change, clinical empathy, trauma theory, mindfulness, integral theory, SBIRT (screening, brief intervention, and referral to substance use treatment), and health coaching.
Sharone Abramowitz MD and Karena Franses LCSW are members of the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers and trained with William Miller and Theresa Moyers, the founder of MI and MI’s lead researchers, in 2002. They have trained numerous health organizations in MI, including: UCSF Positive Health, USC School of Medicine, UC Berkeley-UCSF Joint Medical Program, Contra Costa & Alameda Health Systems, American & California Societies of Addiction Medicine, Partnership Health Plan, Academy of Integrative Health & Medicine Fellowship, Sutter Hospital, California Healthcare Foundation, and many others.
Registration and Training
8:30 AM to 4:45 PM
Participants will be able to:
• Explain what motivational interviewing is and is not.
• Identify the four stages of motivational interviewing.
• Apply open-ended questions when assessing clients’ relationships to their substance use behaviors.
• Demonstrate the use of reflective statements when working with clients’ ambivalence about making behavioral changes.
• Summarize the clients’ pros and cons regarding their problem use of drugs and alcohol.
• Practice affirmations of the clients’ strengths and prior attempts at health behavior change.
• Recognize ways the counselor may cause discord with clients struggling with health behavior changes.
• Practice ways to bypass discord when working with clients struggling with health behavior changes.
• Recognize what stage of change clients are in.
• Apply the appropriate brief motivational interviewing tool based on clients’ stages of change.
• Recall the steps involved with Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral for Treatment (SBIRT) for clients with substance use problems.
• Apply how the counselor will incorporate motivational interviewing tools into their daily work with clients.
To register for this live workshop please visit: REGISTRATION
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit. Social workers participating in this course will receive 12 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This training does not offer ASWB ACE credit to social workers.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 2166
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
This course is Interactive .