Sunday, July 28 – Friday, Aug 2, 2019
This workshop offers mindfulness strategies to integrate to techniques from EMDR therapy and Body Awareness.
The mindfulness strategies can be effective when incorporated with strategies from EMDR therapy; this is especially beneficial for clients who need to increase their affect tolerance. Participants will learn about current research on mindfulness and EMDR therapy. Additionally, participants will learn about the hypothesized mechanism of action for EMDR and mindfulness.
Non-EMDR therapists and Mental Health Professionals will be given ways to use EMDR strategies without the use of bilateral (Eye-Movements) stimulation.
The format of this workshop is a retreat, this means participants will practice these strategies to self-attune. Come to be refreshed and to enhance your EMDR skills!
Jose Carbajal is a licensed clinical social worker. He served in the U.S. Army; after his military service, Jose attended Baylor University, where he received his bachelor’s degree and master’s degree in social work, and a master’s degree in theological studies. He completed his Ph.D. in Social Work at the University of Texas at Arlington. Jose has several published articles, a book chapter published, and he has conducted many professional presentations. Jose’s research focus is on the interventions clinicians use to treat trauma, neuroscience and social work practice, faith, and trauma, and social disparity. Jose has over 10 years of clinical experience; his clinical specialties are trauma, sexual abuse recovery, domestic violence, substance abuse, and interpersonal relationship issues. Dr. Carbajal is a Certified EMDR Therapist and Consultant.
Jordan Shafer is a licensed professional counselor. He served in the U.S. Army during the Vietnam era, receiving a Bronze Star for meritorious service. After his military service he bounced around for a few years, doing such things as raising tobacco in Kentucky, playing music in Nashville and doing some land surveying in the Louisiana Bayou.
Returning university for a degree in Geophysics landed Shafer in Texas working in oil Exploration. From there he got his Masters degree in counseling and then became certified in EMDR, for which he is now a consultant and trainer. Shafer hosted and worked with Michael Brown, author of The Presence Process and has been to several workshops with teachers such as Eckhart Tolle, Adyashanti, and Pamela Wilson where he studied Presence and Mindfulness.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday
7:30 AM to 8:00 PM
Participants will be able to:
- Strategize how to integrate EMDR Techniques, Body Awareness, and Mindfulness to help clients manage their affect in between sessions and increase distress tolerance
- Describe the current literature on mindfulness, EMDR, and neuroscience
- Apply and demonstrate EMDR therapy, body awareness, and mindfulness integration
- Summarize strategies implemented during lecture and practicum, and integrate phases of EMDR and mindfulness into practice
- Use teachings from The Presence Process in their own growth and development and in working with clients
- Describe the eight phases of EMDR Therapy protocol
- Define and describe mindfulness
- Identify and explain how EMDR Therapy and Mindfulness could be integrated to clinical practice as part of EMDR therapy preparation, installation, and closure.
Describe “The Pathway of Awareness”
Demonstrate “Integrating Our Childhood”
Discuss how to receive Insight
Explain and Identify Messengers
Apply and use “Consciously Connected Breathing”
Discuss the importance of Felt-Perception
Describe “The Seven-year cycle”
To register for this live workshop please visit: HERE