Motivational Interviewing Getting Started
The course begins with a discussion of how to recognize client readiness to move into action. The course then presents strategies for negotiating a sound change plan. How clinicians can assist a client in initiating the plan is also reviewed. This Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) offers guidance to addiction treatment providers on using the motivational interviewing therapeutic approach, along with the stages-of-change model of behavior change, in substance use treatment. This edition of the TIP includes updates to the original course, including a literature search on the use of MI in substance use treatment covering 2013 to mid-2017 and the most current (2013) edition of Miller and Rollnick’s foundational text. This chapter describes negotiating specific change plans with clients. This course is based upon material published by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
This course on motivational interviewing is designed for social workers, professional counselors, psychologists, nurses, and substance abuse counselors, who do clinical work. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their understanding of motivational interviewing. The course material includes a review of the strategies helpful in moving clients from preparation to action. It may also be useful for licensed clinicians who require clinical continuing education courses for license renewal.
Authors: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Center for Substance Abuse Treatment
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding motivational interviewing. Specifically, a professional will:
- Describe how to recognize when a client is ready to move into action
- Identify strategies for negotiating a sound change plan
- Recognize how to assist a client in initiating a change plan
Citation: Center for Substance Abuse Treatment. Enhancing Motivation for Change in Substance Abuse Treatment. Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series, No. 35 (Chapter 6). HHS Publication No. (SMA) 13-4212. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 1999, Revised 2017.
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- The National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Ce-Classes.com has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6320. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Ce-Classes.com is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Florida Certification Board
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 2143
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .