Motivational Interviewing Increasing Commitment
This Treatment Improvement Protocol offers guidance to addiction treatment providers on using the motivational interviewing therapeutic approach, along with the stages-of-change model of behavior change, in substance use treatment. This edition of the TIP includes updates to the original course, including a literature search on the use of MI in substance use treatment covering 2013 to mid-2017 and the most current (2013) edition of Miller and Rollnick’s foundational text. This chapter describes strategies to increase commitment to change by enhancing decision-making capabilities.
The chapter begins with a discussion of extrinsic (external) and intrinsic (internal) motivation, describing ways to help clients connect with internal motivators to enhance decision-making and thereby commitment. The second section focuses on decisional balancing strategies—effective ways to explore the benefits and costs of change and clients’ values about changes they might make. The third section highlights the importance of personal choice and responsibility as clients get closer to making a decision to change.
This course is based upon material published by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration and is available as an open access article.
This course on motivational interviewing is designed for social workers, professional counselors, psychologists, nurses, and substance abuse counselors, who do clinical work. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their understanding of motivational interviewing. The course material includes a review of the strategies helpful in moving clients from contemplation to preparation. It may also be useful for licensed clinicians who require clinical continuing education courses for license renewal.
Authors: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Center for Substance Abuse Treatment
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding motivational interviewing. Specifically, a professional will:
· Describe strategies for moving from extrinsic to intrinsic motivation
· Identify the importance of emphasizing personal choice and responsibility
· Recognize self-efficacy as a critical determinant of behavior change
Citation: Center for Substance Abuse Treatment. Enhancing Motivation for Change in Substance Abuse Treatment. Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series, No. 35 (Chapter 5). HHS Publication No. (SMA) 13-4212. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 1999, Revised 2017.
Visit us online for a full year of unlimited online CEUs.
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023
- The National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Ce-Classes.com has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6320. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Ce-Classes.com is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Florida Certification Board
- EMDR Consulting NBCC Approval EMDR Consulting, LLC has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6853. EMDR Consulting, LLC is solely responsible for all aspects of this program for NBCC CEs.
- Staff Training
- Employees Only: This course is approved for employee training. However, this course does not provide CE credit for licensed or certified professionals.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2023
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0223 Expires 2-2023
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners – CE-Classes.com meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors – CE-Classes.com meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 2134
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
This course is Non Interactive .