Domestic Violence – The Basics
This course is based on several publications about domestic violence and intimate partner violence. It provides an overview of domestic violence by describing characteristic behaviors, dynamics, risk factors, consequences, and treatments. It also describes methods for preventing domestic violence. Additional information is provided on intimate partner violence statistics and prevention strategies. This course focuses on domestic and intimate partner violence occurring in both adult and teen relationships. It serves as an excellent resource for mental health professionals who would like to build or refresh their knowledge about intimate partner violence.
Psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors and marriage and family therapists can benefit from this course. This course may also be helpful for other practitioners, such as midwives and dieticians and nutritionists who may work with clients who are at risk for domestic violence and intimate partner violence. This course is appropriate for beginning and intermediate level practitioners who wish to develop their clinical skills in this area.
Authors: National Center for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder; and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
Learning Objectives: This course will provide a professional with an overview of intimate partner violence occurring in teen and adult relationships. Specifically, a professional will:
- Describe intimate partner violence in terms of interpersonal dynamics and behaviors.
- Recognize the prevalence statistics, risk factors, and consequences associated with intimate partner violence.
- Identify methods for preventing intimate partner violence.
Citations: Rice, M (2004). Domestic Violence Fact Sheet by the National Center for PTSD.; Centers for Disease Control (2006). Understanding Intimate Partner Violence Fact Sheet. CDC.; and Centers for Disease Control (2006). Understanding Teen Dating Abuse Fact Sheet. CDC. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 1 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 213
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2020 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .