Medical Management of Patients Taking OUD Meds
Course Description and Exam
Part Three of this Treatment Improvement Protocol examines key issues in medical management of patients who are prescribe buprenorphine or naltrexone in office-based opioid treatment (OBOT) and hospital settings. It covers regulatory and administrative concerns specific to buprenorphine and naltrexone that affect medical management of patients in office settings, as well as in emergency, general medical, surgical, psychiatric, and obstetric hospital-based units.
This course is based upon material published in the SAMHSA Treatment Improvement Protocol 63 and is available as an open access article.
This course on opioid use disorder treatment is designed for social workers, professional counselors, psychologists, nurses, and substance abuse counselors, who do clinical work. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their understanding of treatments for opioid use disorder. The course material includes a review of medications appropriate for use with those who abuse opioids. It may also be useful for licensed clinicians who require clinical continuing education courses for license renewal.
Authors: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, a division of the United States Department of Health and Human Services
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding medications used to treat opioid use disorder in outpatient and inpatient settings. Specifically, a professional will:
- Describe how to assess and select patients likely to succeed with standard office-based treatment
- Identify the role of the treatment plan and treatment agreement in medical management
- Recognize keys to effective patient management in general hospital settings
Citation: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Medications for Opioid Use Disorder. Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series 63, Part 3: Pharmacotherapy for Opioid Use Disorder. HHS Publication No. (SMA) 18-5063PT3 (Chapters E and F). Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 2018.
Visit us online for a full year of unlimited online CEUs
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 1 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- The National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Ce-Classes.com has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6320. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Ce-Classes.com is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Florida Certification Board
- Staff Training
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 2129
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .