Co-occurring Substance Abuse and Mental Health Disorders in Youth
This course is based on a publication of the Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health about youth with co-occurring substance abuse and mental health problems. This course outlines the findings and recommendations based on research conducted by the Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health in order to improve outcomes for youth with these co-occurring disorders. This course also discusses the issue of co-occurring substance abuse and mental health problems in terms of prevalence, developmental course, consequences, and treatment. Additionally, information is provided on the obstacles impeding progress for youth with co-occurring substance abuse and mental health disorders. This course serves as an excellent resource for mental health professionals who would like to build or refresh their knowledge about youth with co-occurring substance abuse and mental health problems.
Psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors and marriage and family therapists and certified addictions counselors can benefit from this course. This course may also be helpful for other practitioners, such as dieticians and nutritionists who may work with dual diagnosed clients. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to learn more about dually diagnosed youth and who wish to develop their clinical skills in this area.
Author: Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health
Learning Objectives: This course will provide a professional with an overview of youth with co-occurring substance abuse and mental health problems. Specifically, a professional will:
- Describe the purpose, findings, and recommendations based on the research by the Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health.
- Identify the prevalence, developmental course and treatments for co-occurring substance abuse and mental health problems.
- Identify the obstacles impeding progress for youth with co-occurring substance abuse and mental health disorders.
Citation: Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health. Blamed and Ashamed: The Treatment Experiences of Youth with Co-occurring Substance Abuse and Mental Health Disorders and Their Families. Alexandria, VA. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 3 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 212
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2020 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .