Standards of Care for the Health of Transsexual Transgender and Gender Nonconforming People
This course reviews the Standards of Care developed by the World Professional Association for Transgender Health. The text reviews the purpose and use of the Standards of Care, as well as their global applicability. The differences between gender nonconformity and gender dysphoria are explained, and epidemiologic data are considered. Following an overview of therapeutic approaches for gender dysphoria, the course turns to the assessment and treatment of children and adolescents with gender dysphoria. Mental health, hormone therapy, reproductive health, voice and communication therapy, surgery, postoperative care, and lifelong preventive and primary care are covered in turn. The course concludes by considering the special circumstances of people living in institutional environments and people with disorders of sex development.
This course is based upon material published by the World Professional Association for Transgender Health and is available as an open access article.
This course on standards of care for people of nonconforming gender is designed for social workers, professional counselors, psychologists, nurses, and substance abuse counselors, who do clinical work. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their understanding of care for transgender and transsexual people. The course material includes a review of care standards. It may also be useful for licensed clinicians who require clinical continuing education courses for license renewal.
Authors: Anne Marie Weber-Main, PhD, with the Standards of Care Revision Committee of the World Professional Association for Transgender Health, chaired by Eli Coleman, PhD.
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding standards of care for transsexual, transgender, and gender nonconforming people. Specifically, a professional will:
- Describe treatment principles for children and adolescents with gender dysphoria
- Identify standards of care for hormone therapy
- Recognize the importance of lifelong preventive and primary care for transsexual, transgender, and gender nonconforming people
Citation: Standards of Care for the Health of Transsexual, Transgender, and Gender Nonconforming People, 7th Version. The World Professional Association for Transgender Health.
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 3 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- The National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Ce-Classes.com has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6320. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Ce-Classes.com is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Florida Certification Board
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 2113
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .