Effects of Childhood Stress on Health Across the Lifespan
This course is based on a publication of the Centers for Disease Control about childhood stress and its effects on various outcomes throughout the lifespan. It describes the different types of stress and discusses the effects of childhood stress on early childhood brain development and on the physical, behavioral, and mental health of adult populations. This course also includes an overview of childhood stress prevention and treatment strategies. This publication is written in simple terms making the concepts easy to grasp. It serves as an excellent resource for mental health professionals who would like to build or refresh their knowledge about childhood stress.
Psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors and marriage and family therapists can benefit from this course. This course may also be helpful for other practitioners, such as midwives and dieticians and nutritionists who may work with children and adolescents. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who want to learn more about childhood stress and who wish to develop their clinical skills in this area.
Author: Centers for Disease Control
Learning Objectives: This course will provide a professional with an overview of childhood stress. Specifically, a professional will:
- Define the types of stress and its effects on early childhood brain development.
- Describe the findings of the ACE study on the relationship between childhood stress and adult health and behavior.
- Identify childhood stress prevention and treatment strategies.
Citation: Centers for Disease Control (2008). The Effects of Childhood Stress on Health Across the Lifespan. Atlanta: GA. Course description and exam by Bianca Perez, M.S. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 1 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 209
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2020 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .