HIV and Aging
This course discusses HIV in older adults including demographics and a review of HIV risk factors, transmission, prevention, testing, and diagnosis. Treatment of HIV in older adults is also reviewed, including unique challenges faced by the geriatric population. The course recognizes three categories of older adults living with HIV: people who have been living with the disease for many years, those how are just now learning of their HIV status, and people who acquire HIV after the age of 50. Misdiagnosis of HIV in elderly patients is addressed.
This course is based upon material published in Nurses Health Education about LGBT Elders and is available as anopen access article.
This course on geriatric HIV is designed for social workers, professional counselors, psychologists, nurses, and substance abuse counselors, who do clinical work. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their understanding of HIV and aging. The course material includes a review ofimplications of HIV in geriatric populations. It may also be useful for licensed clinicians who require clinical continuing education courses for license renewal.
Authors: Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and National Institute of Allergy and Infections Diseases (NIAIA)
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding HIV in older adults. Specifically, a professional will:
- Recognize basic principles of HIV transmission and antiretroviral treatment for HIV
- Describe why it is important to test for HIV in the older population
- List three unique challenges in the treatment of HIV in older adults
Citation: CDC and NIAIA, HIV and Aging. Target HIV Tools for HRSA’s Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program Nurses Health Education About LGBT Elders: Module 6.
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023
- The National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Ce-Classes.com has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6320. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Ce-Classes.com is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Florida Certification Board
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 2074
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .