Intimate Partner Abuse and Relationship Violence by the APA
This course is based on a publication of the American Psychological Association (APA) about intimate partner abuse and relationship violence in heterosexual and homosexual couples. It provides an overview of abusive relationships by describing characteristic behaviors and dynamics. This course outlines the risk factors, vulnerability markers, and consequences associated with intimate partner violence. This course also describes treatment and prevention methods for abusive relationships. Additional information is provided on the legal, ethical, and forensic issues related to relationship violence. This course serves as an excellent resource for mental health professionals who would like to build or refresh their knowledge about intimate partner abuse and relationship violence.
Psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors and marriage and family therapists can benefit from this course. This course may also be helpful for other practitioners, such as midwives and dieticians and nutritionists who may work with clients who are at risk for intimate partner abuse and violence. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to to to develop their clinical skills in the areas of assessment, prevention and treatment of intimate partner violence.
Author: The American Psychological Association
Learning Objectives: This course will provide a professional with an overview of intimate partner abuse and relationship violence. Specifically, a professional will:
- Describe relationship abuse and violence in terms of partner dynamics and behaviors.
- Identify the incidence, prevalence, risk factors, and consequences associated with abusive and violent relationships.
- Identify methods for preventing and treating relationship abuse and violence.
Citation: American Psychological Association (2002). Intimate Partner Abuse and Relationship Violence. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
Course description and exam by Bianca Perez, M.S.
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 207
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2020 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .