EMDR HAP – ON DEMAND – EMDR And Addiction: Essential Skills Beyond Basic Training with Julie Miller
On Demand- Pre Recorded
Research has shown that EMDR may be utilized to assist with recovery from chemical and process addictions. The challenges with this population can be daunting, and for many years EMDR therapists were encouraged to wait to do any trauma work until the client had months of recovery due to fear of relapse. This perspective has been found to be untenable in that the unprocessed memories often fuel relapse, demonstrating the need for concurrent treatment of addiction and trauma. Relapse is generally a process that begins weeks or months before the first slip, and multiple forms of resourcing can be utilized to address this issue. Addiction clients often have great difficulty tolerating or modulating affect, or even difficulty naming an emotion or relating the experience of the emotion. Alexithymia and affect phobia are significant challenges in the addiction treatment field. With current EMDR protocols, the EMDR therapist can address these issues and help the client work through addiction and trauma issues, putting them on firm footing to maintain recovery. In this workshop we will identify the origins of addiction from the AIP perspective and challenges specific to addiction clients; learn and practice creating a treatment plan from the AIP perspective for addiction clients; identify several resourcing options to prepare addiction clients for reprocessing, specifically addressing alexithymia, affect phobia, and difficulty with self-regulation; identify at least three protocols for use with chemical and/or process addictions; and determine when to use a specific protocol with an addiction client.
Julie is an EMDRIA Approved Consultant and Certified EMDR Therapist in Tucson, Arizona. She is in private practice and specializes in complex trauma, addiction, and working with first responders. She is an EMDR Trainer and frequently receives very high marks for her presentation skills. She is an international and national speaker on advanced uses of EMDR, including EMDR and Complex Trauma, EMDR and Addiction, Preventing PTSD through Early EMDR Interventions, and EMDR with First Responders. Julie provides consultation for EMDR therapists seeking case consultation and certification in EMDR therapy, along with consultation for completion of basic training. Julie is a volunteer and co-coordinator for the Arizona Trauma Recovery Network, providing pro bono early EMDR training and clinical intervention in communities facing disaster and crisis. Along with a colleague, Julie founded the EMDR Center of Tucson, LLC, to provide advanced EMDR training in Southern Arizona.
This course is appropriate for advanced mental health clinicians that have completed EMDR Basic Training
- Identify the origins of addiction from the AIP perspective and challenges specific to addiction clients
- Practice creation of a treatment plan from the AIP perspective for addiction clients
- Identify and practice several unique resourcing options to prepare addiction clients for reprocessing
- Identify at least three protocols uses specifically with addictions
- Identify how to determine when to use a specific protocol with an addiction client
To register for the pre recorded webinar, please follow the link below:
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit. Social workers participating in this course will receive 6 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- Florida Certification Board
- This training does not offer ASWB ACE credit to social workers.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2023
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0223 Expires 2-2023
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners – CE-Classes.com meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors – CE-Classes.com meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 2067
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
This course is Non Interactive .