EMDR therapy has established itself as a viable psychotherapy for the treatment of trauma and other related mental health disorders. EMDR therapy is an efficacious treatment for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Research is continuing to demonstrate the widespread applicability of EMDR therapy for a variety of clinical presentations.
This training uses both didactic, video, demonstration, and experiential components to explain the theoretical elements of EMDR therapy and to clear up common misconceptions about this therapeutic approach. The training includes ten hours of group consultations after the training to deepen the trainee’s understanding of EMDR therapy. Case presentations and demonstrations will show participants how this approach can serve as a powerful clinical model in the treatment of numerous Axis I disorders, for children and adults.
This includes but is not limited to abuse, assault, and more recently, addictions. It has long been associated with the treatment of PTSD in combat veterans (Amen, 2001). The first part of the training reviews the research, history and development of this therapy. The method, model and neurological mechanism (Bergmann, 2000; Servan-Schrieber, 2000; Stickgold, 2002) and behavioral changes (Armstrong & Vaughan, 1996; MacCulloch & Feldman, 1996) are explained and defined. The participants will understand the 8-phases treatment model, the 8-procedural steps of EMDR therapy and the three-pronged approach this model uses as a comprehensive treatment (Shapiro, 2002).
The dual awareness stimulation is administered, explained, demonstrated and practiced within the context of the model (Andrade et. Al., 1997; Kavanaugh, Freese, Andrade, & May, 2001; Schubert, Lee, & Drummond, 2011).
Additionally, affect management and grounding skills, target development strategies, negative cognition development and legal and ethical issues as it relates to EMDR therapy and the difference between this model and others. These twenty hours of instruction teach the trainee all the requisite skills, which are reinforced by the twenty hours of practicum. The training prepares the trainee how to use the EMDR therapy model safely and appropriately.
Dr. Dobo is a licensed psychologist. He is a certified EMDR therapist, an approved consultant, and one of only four EMDRIA Approved Trainers in the state of Florida. He is also the author of Unburdening Souls at the Speed of Thought. He has been using EMDR for 20 years. He has a busy private practice in Sebastian Florida.
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Describe the discovery, history, evolution of EMDR Therapy and EMDRIA definition of EMDR Therapy.
- Describe and practice the EMDR Therapy’s Model, Mechanism and Method, The Adaptive Information Processing Model including all 8-Phases of this therapy developed by Francine Shapiro.
- Discuss the basic hypotheses, clinical implications and applications of this model, and differentiation from other therapeutic models.
- Identify the impact of trauma and its treatment. Discern client readiness and preparation develop informed consent, history taking, development of affect management skills, and treatment and target sequence planning.
- Demonstrate and practice Desensitization aka Dual Awareness Stimulation (DAS)and the mechanics of EMDR Therapy including the modes of stimulation.
- Explain, demonstrate and practice Phase 3: Assessment. Developing the 8 procedural steps.
- Explain when to target traumas from the past vs. present vs. future events. (This is EMDR’s Three-Pronged Approach to the treatment plan.)
- Implement strategies to move through blocked processes, utilizing interweaves, bridges and manage new material that emerges.
- Explain potential client and therapist impediments. When EMDR Therapy might be contraindicated and when special care should be taken.
- Implement EMDR Therapy for special circumstances: Anxiety, grief, phobias, etc.
To register for this Live Workshop please vist: REGISTER
Upcoming 2020 Workshops:
January 15-19 in Jacksonville, FL
January 29-February 2 in Melbourne, FL
February 19-23 in Tampa, FL
March 23-27 in West Palm Beach, FL
April 15-19 in Melbourne, FL