Suicide Thoughts, Attempts, Major Depression and Substance Abuse among Adults
This course is based on a publication of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) Office of Applied Studies (OAS) about the prevalence of suicide. It provides an overview of this topic by discussing the research findings of two major research projects conducted by SAMHSA, namely the NSDUH and DAWN surveys. This course highlights the research findings on suicide which are related to major depressive episode and drug use. This publication is written in simple terms making the concepts easy to grasp. It serves as an excellent resource for mental health professionals who would like to build or refresh their knowledge about suicide.
Psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors and marriage and family therapists can benefit from this course. This course may also be helpful for other practitioners, such as midwives and dieticians and nutritionists who may work with clients who are at risk for suicide or substance abuse. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who want to learn more about the interaction between suicide, major depression and substance abuse.
Author: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) Office of Applied Studies.
Learning Objectives: This course will provide a professional with an overview of suicide. Specifically, a professional will:
- Identify the relationship between suicide and major depressive episodes and substance abuse.
- Describe the prevalence statistics related to major depressive episode and suicide.
- Describe the prevalence statistics related to drug use and suicide.
Citation: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) Office of Applied Studies. The OAS Report: Suicide Thoughts, Suicide Attempts, Major Depressive Episode, and Substance Abuse among Adults. Issue 34. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 1 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 205
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .