Intimate Partner Violence, a Global Perspective
This course is based on a publication by the World Health Organization (WHO) and can be found on the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) website. This publication is the World Report on Health and Violence and focuses on violence against women. It provides an overview of intimate partner violence by describing characteristic behaviors, dynamics, and response patterns. This course outlines the intrapersonal, interpersonal, and societal risk factors and consequences associated with intimate partner violence. This course also describes methods for preventing intimate partner violence. Additional information is provided on the research challenges related to measuring violence and the prevalence of intimate partner violence in different countries. This course serves as an excellent resource for mental health professionals who would like to build or refresh their knowledge about intimate partner violence.
Psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors and marriage and family therapists can benefit from this course. This course may also be helpful for other practitioners, such as midwives and dieticians and nutritionists who may work with clients who are at risk for intimate partner violence. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who do not know a lot about intimate partner violence against women and who wish to develop their clinical skills in this area.
Author: World Health Organization (WHO)
Learning Objectives: This course will provide a professional with an overview of intimate partner violence. Specifically, a professional will:
- Describe intimate partner violence in terms of partner dynamics and behaviors.
- Identify the risk factors and consequences associated with intimate partner violence.
- Identify methods for preventing intimate partner violence.
Citation: World Health Organization (2008). Violence by Intimate Partners, Chapter 4 found on Centers for Disease Control (CDC) website. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
Course description and exam by Bianca Perez, M.S.
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 3 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2023
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0223 Expires 2-2023
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners – CE-Classes.com meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors – CE-Classes.com meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 201
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .