Depression: What Every Woman Should Know by NIMH
This course is based on a publication of the National Institute of Mental Health about depression affecting women. It provides an overview of depression by discussing its forms, symptoms, causes, co-occurring illnesses, and manifestations in younger versus older women. This course includes an overview of the pharmacological and non pharmacological treatments which are commonly used to treat depression. Additional information is provided on diagnosis procedures and crisis intervention methods. This publication is written in simple terms making the concepts easy to grasp. It serves as an excellent resource for mental health professionals who would like to build or refresh their knowledge about depression affecting women.
Psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors and marriage and family therapists can benefit from this course. This course may also be helpful for other practitioners, such as midwives and dieticians and nutritionists who work with women who may be at risk for depression. This course is appropriate for beginning and intermediate level practitioners who do not know a lot about depression affecting women and who wish to develop their clinical skills in this area.
Author: National Institute of Mental Health
Learning Objectives: This course will provide a professional with an overview of depression in women. Specifically, a professional will:
- Identify the forms of depression, symptoms, causes, and co-occurring illnesses.
- Describe the issues that are particular to women dealing with depression.
- Describe the pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatments for depression, their effectiveness, and possible side effects.
Citation: National Institute of Mental Health (2008). Women and Depression: Discovering Hope.
Course description and examination by Bianca Perez, M.S.
Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD and committee in 2019 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 1 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2023
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 200
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .