Schizophrenia by NIMH
This course is based on a publication of the National Institute of Mental Health about schizophrenia. It provides an overview of schizophrenia by discussing its causes, major categories of symptoms, and the developmental course of the disease. The course includes an overview of the pharmacological and psychosocial treatments which are commonly used to treat this disease. Additional information is provided on the prevalence of schizophrenia, the role of the patient’s support system, research contributions to date, and the importance of obtaining participation in clinical trials. This publication is written in simple terms making the concepts easy to grasp. It serves as an excellent resource for mental health professionals who would like to build or refresh their knowledge of schizophrenia.
Psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors and marriage and family therapists can benefit from this course. This course may also be helpful for other practitioners, such as dieticians and nutritionists who may work with psychiatric populations. This course is appropriate for beginning level practitioners who do not know a lot about schizophrenia and who wish to develop their clinical skills in this area.
Author: National Institute of Mental Health
Learning Objectives: This course will provide a professional with an overview of schizophrenia. Specifically, a professional will:
· Describe schizophrenia and identify the categories of symptoms associated with the disease.
· Describe the latest research findings on schizophrenia, possible causes and the developmental course of the disease.
· Identify pharmacological and psychosocial approaches for treating schizophrenia and the effectiveness and side effects of the treatments.
Citation: National Institute of Mental Health (2006). Schizophrenia. NIH Publications No. 06-3517. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
Course description and examination by Bianca Perez, M.S.
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- Florida Certification Board
- Staff Training
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
This course is Non Interactive .