April 12-14, 2019
In person location: Sebastian, FL
8:00am – 5:00pm
EMDR has established itself as a viable psychotherapy for the treatment of trauma and other related mental health disorders. EMDR is an efficacious treatment for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Research is continuing to demonstrate the widespread applicability of EMDR in a variety of clinical presentations. Some of this will be discussed in the course presentation.
This workshop uses didactic, video, demonstration, and experiential components to explain the theoretical elements of EMDR and to clear up common misconceptions about this therapeutic approach. Case presentations and demonstrations will show participants how this approach can serve as a powerful, clinical tool in the treatment of numerous Axis I disorders, abuse, assault, and in the various problems confronting children and combat veterans (Amen, 2001). The first part of the training reviews the research, history and development of this therapy. The method, model and neurological mechanism (Bergmann, 2000; Servan-Schrieber, 2000; Stickgold, 2002) and behavioral changes (Armstrong & Vaughan, 1996; MacCulloch & Feldman, 1996) are also explained and defined. The participants will understand the eight-phase treatment model, the eight procedural steps of EMDR and the three-pronged approach this model uses as a comprehensive treatment (Shapiro, 2002). This training also includes affect management and grounding skills, target development strategies, negative cognition development and legal and ethical issues as they relate to EMDR.
Dr. Dobo is a licensed psychologist. He is a certified EMDR therapist, an approved consultant, and one of only four EMDRIA Approved Trainers in the state of Florida. He is also the author of Unburdening Souls at the Speed of Thought. He has been using EMDR for 20 years. He has a busy private practice in Sebastian Florida.
Participants will be able to:
- Describe the discovery, history, evolution of EMDR Therapy and EMDRIA definition of EMDR Therapy.
- Describe and practice the EMDR Therapy’s Model, Mechanism and Method, The Adaptive Information Processing Model including all 8-Phases of this therapy developed by Francine Shapiro.
- Discuss the basic hypotheses, clinical implications and applications of this model, and differentiation from other therapeutic models.
- Identify the impact of trauma and its treatment. Discern client readiness and preparation develop informed consent, history taking, development of affect management skills, and treatment and target sequence planning.
- Demonstrate and practice Desensitization aka Dual Awareness Stimulation (DAS)and the mechanics of EMDR Therapy including the modes of stimulation.
- Explain, demonstrate and practice Phase 3: Assessment. Developing the 8 procedural steps.
- Explain when to target traumas from the past vs. present vs. future events. (This is EMDR’s Three-Pronged Approach to the treatment plan.)
- Implement strategies to move through blocked processes, utilizing interweaves, bridges and manage new material that emerges.
- Explain potential client and therapist impediments. When EMDR Therapy might be contraindicated and when special care should be taken.
- Implement EMDR Therapy for special circumstances: Anxiety, grief, phobias, etc.
To register for this Live Workshop please vist: REGISTER