This course is based upon material published by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) of the US Department of Health and Human Services.
This course on applying the substance abuse confidentiality regulations is designed for substance abuse counselors, clinical social workers, psychologists, professional counselors, and nurses who do clinical work with substance abuse clients. The course material includes frequently asked questions (FAQs) and the answers developed by SAMHSA. It is not intended to substitute for legal advice and requirements of the HIPAA Privacy Rule must also be considered.
This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their understanding of substance abuse confidentiality regulations.
This course is particularly useful for licensed clinicians who work in substance abuse settings and require continuing education courses on the confidentiality regulations of 42 CFR Part 2 for license renewal.
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding the application of the substance abuse confidentiality regulations of 42 CRF Part 2. Specifically, a professional will:
Identify key requirements for consent under 42 CFR Part 2.
Distinguish health care provider disclosures that are permitted without consent under 42 CFR Part 2.
Recognize the relationship between 42 CFR Part 2 and State laws.
Citation: SAMHSA, (2011). Applying the Substance Abuse Confidentiality Regulations
42 CFR Part 2. Retrieved on 5/18/2015 from http://www.samhsa.gov/healthPrivacy/docs/EHR-FAQs.pdf Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 1 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2023
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0223 Expires 2-2023
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners – CE-Classes.com meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors – CE-Classes.com meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1898
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .