My Stroke of Insight by Jill Bolte Taylor
This course is based on the bestselling book My Stroke of Insight by Jill Bolte Taylor. The book describes her personal experience as she suffers a massive stroke as well as her recover. What makes this book unique and such a wonderful learning experience for clinicians is that Dr. Taylor was a Harvard train brain scientist prior to the stroke. She utilizes her extensive knowledge of neuroanatomy to describe the process of both stroke and recovery from the perspective of the patient. She shares her unique perspective on the brain and its capacity for recovery as well as a sense of omniscient understanding she gained from this unusual and inspiring voyage out of the abyss of a wounded brain.
This is a wonderfully written and inspiring book. The author not only explains complex neurological processes in a simple and easy to understand manner, but also makes learning about it enjoyable. The book provides clinicians with much needed insight into the patient’s perspective of brain injury as well as specific examples of how to improve your effectiveness when treating stroke victims. She also gives specific suggestions for improving recovery and an in depth understanding of left and right hemisphere functions. This course is for beginning, intermediate and advanced practitioners.
Psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors, and marriage and family therapists can benefit from this course on the effects of and recovery from stroke. This course may also be helpful other clinicians and medical practitioners such as midwives, dieticians and nutritionists who work in hospital or medical settings where they may work with stroke survivors. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to learn more about neuroanatomy, stroke and recovery from stroke.
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with an overview of neuroanatomy, stroke and recovery strategies for stroke survivors. Specifically, a professional will:
· Identify multiple brain structures and their function.
· Recognize common signs of stroke.
· Distinguish components of the recovery process for stroke survivors.
Citation: Taylor, J. B. (2008). My Stroke of Insight
About Getting Course Materials: The course material for this course is the book itself. The most convenient and easiest way to obtain this book is to purchase this book from Amazon.com by clicking on the picture of the book or clicking on the Get Course Materials Link. Of course, you can borrow it from the library or from a friend, or you can purchase it at the local book store.
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 6 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 183
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2020 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .