Technology in Social Work Practice
This course reviews the standards for technology in social work practice, as agreed upon by the National Association of Social Workers, the Association of Social Work Boards, the Council on Social Work Education, and the Clinical Social Work Association.
Dramatic technology developments in all aspects of social work require practice standards to offer guidance. This course divides these standards into four main sections, addressing the use of electronic technology to:
(1) provide information to the public
(2) design and deliver services
(3) gather, manage, store, and access information about clients
(4) educate and supervise social workers
Each practice standard provides general guidance in how to use technology in an ethical manner and gives suggestions as to how these standards can be implemented in a wide range of circumstances and social work settings.
This course is based upon material published by the National Association of Social Workers and is available as an open access article.
This course on standards for using technology in social work is designed for social workers, professional counselors, psychologists, nurses, and substance abuse counselors, who do clinical work. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their understanding of the ethics associated with the use of technology. The course material reviews ethical standards and guidelines for a wide range of circumstances. It may also be useful for licensed clinicians who require clinical continuing education courses for license renewal.
Authors: Task Force for Technology Standards in Social Work Practice
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding the ethical use of technology in social work practice. Specifically, a professional will:
- Describe standards related to designing and delivering services
- Identify standards for gathering, managing, storing and accessing information about clients
- Recognize the impact technology has had on the education and supervision of social workers
Citation: NASW, ASWB, CSWE, and CSWA Standards for Technology in Social Work Practice, 2017, National Association of Social Workers.
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023
- The National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Ce-Classes.com has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6320. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Ce-Classes.com is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1798
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
This course is Non Interactive .