STDs Prevalence and Facts
This course presents a review of the incidence, prevalence, and cost of sexually transmitted infections in the United States. There are about 20 million new infections in the US each year, placing a multi-billion dollar direct financial burden on the healthcare system.
In particular, this course reviews syphilis, chlamydia, genital herpes, and gonorrhea in great detail. Each of these sexually transmitted diseases is discussed in terms of prevalence, causality, signs and symptoms, complications, relationship to HIV and neonatal development, diagnosis, testing, treatment, and prevention.
This course is based upon material published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and is available as an open access article.
This course on sexually transmitted infections is designed for social workers, professional counselors, psychologists, nurses, and substance abuse counselors, who do clinical work. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to increase their knowledge of STIs.
The course material includes a review of four of the most common sexually transmitted diseases. It may also be useful for licensed clinicians who require clinical continuing education courses for license renewal.
Authors: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding sexually transmitted infections. Specifically, a professional will:
- Describe the incidence and prevalence of sexually transmitted infections in the United States
- Identify screening recommendations for STIs
- Recognize methods of prevention for gonorrhea
Citation: Incidence, Prevalence, and Cost of Sexually Transmitted Infections in the United States. Division of STD Prevention, National Center for HIV-AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2017)
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023
- The National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Ce-Classes.com has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6320. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Ce-Classes.com is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1796
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .