Combating Human Trafficking Identifying Victims
The early identification of trafficked persons is a prerequisite for their recognition as victims and, consequently, their access to assistance and protection. This course discusses the need to not criminalize victims of trafficking and raises issues to be considered before victims are identified. It also offers guidelines on victim identification, indicators of trafficking, and an overview of the initial interview. Checklists to facilitate victim identification are provided, including those intended for use by health care providers and law enforcement officials. The course emphasizes interviewing which is ethical and safe for interviewees, including children, and recommends a process of certifying victims to facilitate both their access to assistance and the provision of assistance by victims to the criminal justice system. Lastly, resources are recommended to build capacity with respect to victim identification.
This course is based upon material published by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime and is available as an open access article.
This course on identifying victims of human trafficking is designed for social workers, professional counselors, psychologists, nurses, and substance abuse counselors, who do clinical work. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their understanding of human trafficking. The course material includes a review of tools which can be used to identify victims of trafficking. It may also be useful for licensed clinicians who require clinical continuing education courses for license renewal.
Authors: United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding the identification of human trafficking victims. Specifically, a professional will:
- Describe the guidelines on victim identification
- Identify health care provider tools for identifying victims
- Recognize ethical and safe interviewing conduct
Citation: United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. (retrieved 2017) Victim Identification. Chapter Six of the Toolkit to Combat Trafficking in Persons. Global Programme against Trafficking in Human Beings. United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime.
Reviewed and determined to be current by T DiDona, PhD on 3/1/2018.
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1793
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2020 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .