HIV among African Americans
Course Description: African Americans account for a higher proportion of new HIV diagnoses, those living with HIV and those ever diagnosed with AIDS, compared to other races and ethnicities. In 2015, African Americans accounted for 45% of HIV diagnoses, though they comprise only 12% of the US population. This course discusses fast facts about HIV among African Americans, detailing prevention challenges and what the CDC is doing to address these challenges. Also included is a discussion of HIV among African American gay and bisexual men, and a CDC fact sheet on trends in HIV Incidence in the United States.
This course is based upon material published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and is available as an open access article.
This course on HIV among African Americans is designed for social workers, professional counselors, psychologists, nurses, and substance abuse counselors, who do clinical work. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their understanding of the African American HIV experience. The course material includes a review of trends in the diagnosis of HIV for heterosexual, homosexual, and bisexual African Americans. It may also be useful for licensed clinicians who require clinical continuing education courses for license renewal.
Sources: National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding HIV among African Americans. Specifically, a professional will:
- Describe the incidence of HIV in the African American community
- Identify prevention challenges for gay and bisexual African American men
- Recognize the effect of behavioral risk on HIV testing outcomes
Citation: DiDona, T. (2018) compiled from multiple sources from the CDC, National Center for HIV/AIDS and NIH. HIV among African Americans.
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023
- The National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Ce-Classes.com has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6320. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Ce-Classes.com is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1787
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .