HIV Infection- Detection Counseling and Referral by the CDC
The course begins with a brief overview of HIV infection, then moves on to a discussion of screening and diagnosis. Counseling and referral to support services are covered, as are management of sex and injection drug partners, and STD testing during HIV care. HIV infections in pregnant women and in children are considered. A table provides STD treatment guidelines.
This course is based upon material published on the CDC website and is available as an open access article.
This course on HIV detection, counseling, and referral is designed for social workers, professional counselors, psychologists, nurses, and substance abuse counselors, who do clinical work. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their understanding of many facets of HIV care and management. The course material includes a review of screening, diagnosing, counseling, and referral for HIV. It may also be useful for licensed clinicians who require clinical continuing education courses for license renewal.
Authors: Division of STD Prevention, National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding HIV. Specifically, a professional will:
- Describe screening protocols used in the diagnosis of HIV infection
- Identify the signs and symptoms of acute HIV infection
- Recognize the need for counseling and support services for persons with HIV infection
Citation: DiDona, T. (2018). HIV Infection: Detection, Counseling and Referral. compiled from sources including Division of STD Prevention, National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Retrieved October 10, 2017 from https://www.cdc.gov/std/tg2015/hiv.htm#a6
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023
- The National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Ce-Classes.com has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6320. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Ce-Classes.com is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2023
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0223 Expires 2-2023
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners – CE-Classes.com meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors – CE-Classes.com meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1779
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .