HIV – AIDS Overview of the Basics
It provides a basic overview of the origin of HIV/AIDS and the transmission and progression of the disease. It begins with a description of the virus itself and the HIV life cycle. Stages of infection, HIV testing, vaccines and clinical trials are reviewed. HIV modes of transmission and prevention are discussed. The course ends with an overview of HIV treatment options, including a brief review of FDA approved drugs, antiretroviral therapy and HIV regimens. Drug resistance and HIV medication adherence are drug interactions are covered.
This course is based upon material published by the US Department of Health and Human Services which is available on the National Institute of Health’s website AIDS.Info. It has been complied into a single source.
Psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors, and marriage and family therapists can benefit from this course. This course may also be helpful for other clinical practitioners such as midwives, dieticians and nutritionists who work with clients who may be at risk for HIV and or AIDS. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who need an introductory course on HIV/AIDS.
Authors: DiDona, PhD complied info from CDC, NIH, AIDS.info
Learning Objectives: This course will provide a professional with an overview of HIV and AIDS in terms of prevention, transmission and treatment. Specifically, a professional will:
- Describe how the HIV virus impacts the body and AIDS
- Identify modes of HIV transmission
- Recognize current treatment strategies for HIV and AIDS
DiDona, T. (2018). HIV – AIDS Overview of the Basics, complied from sources at NIH, CDC and AIDS.info
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 3 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- Florida Certification Board
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2023
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1775
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .