Understanding the Immune System
This course on Understanding the Immune System, How it Works, is based on a publication by the National Institute on Allergy and Infectious Diseases; a division of the National Institutes of Health. The publication can also be found on the National Institute of Health website. This article describes the Immune System by reviewing the functions of a healthy immune system including immune cell and their products and then discussing how the body mounts an immune response. It goes on to discuss the disorders of the immune system.
This is a nicely written article. The authors take very complex subject material (human biology 101) and simplify it with the aid of colorful and informative visual graphics. This publication is an excellent article for health professionals. It provides the practitioner with a foundation of knowledge that helps one better understand HIV disease and other immune deficiency disorders.
Psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors, and marriage and family therapists can benefit from this course on the immune system. This course may also be helpful other clinicians and medical practitioners such as midwives, dieticians and nutritionists who work in a hospital or medical settings. This course is appropriate for beginning, and intermediate level practitioners who wish to learn more about the immune system.
Author: National Institute on Allergy and Infectious Diseases; a division of the National Institutes of Health
Learning Objectives: After completing this course participants will be able to:
- Identify the structure of the immune system, including immune cells and their products.
- Recognize how the body mounts an immune response.
- Summarize the disorders of the immune system.
Citation: National Institute on Allergy and Infectious Diseases; a division of the National Institutes of Health (2007). Understanding the Immune System: How It Works. NIH Pub No 07-5423.
This course has been reviewed and updated on 2/20/18 by T DiDona, PhD. New content and references have been added to the original source material.
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 176
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .