HIV and Specific Populations
The course comprises a basic overview of HIV/AIDS including its transmission, method of progression, and treatment of the disease. The stages of HIV infection are reviewed, as are risk factors and CDC recommendations for reducing the spread of the disease.
Special populations reviewed include children and adolescents, women, gay and bisexual men, older adults, and substance users.
This course is based upon material compiled from the Centers for Disease Control, the Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of Veterans Affairs, and the National Institute on Drug Abuse.
Psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors, and marriage and family therapists can benefit from this course. This course may also be helpful for other clinical practitioners such as midwives, dieticians and nutritionists who work with clients who may be at risk for HIV and or AIDS. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who need an introductory course on HIV/AIDS.
Authors: NIH, AIDS.info compiled by DiDona 2018
Learning Objectives: This course will provide a professional with an overview of HIV and AIDS in terms of prevention, transmission and treatment. Specifically, a professional will:
- Describe the stages of HIV infection
- Identify modes of HIV transmission
- Recognize how HIV impacts special populations
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2023
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1731
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .