Service Standards for Veterans and Their Families
This short course from the National Association of Social Workers provides a review of 12 Standards for Professional Practice, interpreting each standard for use specifically with military families. The course opens with definitions of the terms to be used, following by the principles and goals which guided the development of the Standards.
Each of the Standards for Professional Practice is reviewed in turn, including an interpretation of how social workers should apply each Standard in their practice with current and former military members and their families. The course closes with a list of resources which may be helpful to social workers who serve military clients.
This course is based upon material published by the National Association of Social Workers and is available as an open access article. This course on social work standards for practice with service members, veterans, and their families is designed for social workers and other professionals who work with members of the military. This course is appropriate for beginning and intermediate level practitioners who wish to develop their understanding of standards of social work practice with members of the military. The course material includes interpretations of the 12 Standards for Professional Practice vis-à-vis their application to military clients and their families. It may also be useful for licensed clinicians who require clinical continuing education courses for license renewal.
Authors: National Association of Social Workers
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding social work practice with members of the military and their families. Specifically, a professional will:
- Describe the NASW Standards for Social Work Practice with military clients
- Identify how the Standards for Professional Practice apply to working with military clients
- Recognize resources which may be useful in working with military clients
Citation: NASW Standards for Social Work Practice with Service Members, Veterans, and Their Families. National Association of Social Work, 2012.
Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here.
Also please read a short blog
Kennedy, C. (November 5, 2018) Three Critical Considerations When Making a Clinical Mental Health Recommendation for a Service Member, Psychological Health Center of Excellence Website (formerly Deployment Health Clinical Center) retrieved on 11/12/2018
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1730
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .