Aging: Under the Microscope
This course is based on an article published by the National Institute of Aging: a division of the National Institute of Health. The publication can also be found on the National Institute of Aging website. The publication describes in detail the aging process covering what aging is exactly, the difference between life expectancy and life span and reviewing the theories on aging. It goes on to discuss in detail what is currently known about longevity genes, cellular senescence, proliferation genes and telomeres. The publication then reviews biochemistry and aging including oxygen radicals, protein crosslinking and DNA repair and synthesis. It describes normal aging, the immune system and its relationship in the aging process and what is known about the effects of caloric restriction and exercise on the aging process.
This is a wonderfully written article. The authors take complex subject material and simplify it with the aid of beautiful visual graphics that serve to aid the reader in understanding the material. This course is an excellent reference for the mental health professional that works with the elderly or is aging themselves.
Psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors, and marriage and family therapists can benefit from this course on aging and the elderly. This course may also be helpful for dieticians and nutritionists who work with geriatric or elderly clients. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their clinical skills with a geriatric or aging client population.
Author: National Institute on Aging
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding the process of aging. Specifically, a professional will:
· Identify the processes involved in aging.
· Recognize the role of genetics and biochemistry in aging.
· Distinguish the physiologic clues related to aging.
Citation: The National Institute on Aging, A division of the National Institutes of Health. Aging Under the Microscope: A Biological Quest. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 172
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2020 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .