Age Friendly Inclusive Services for LGBT
Age Friendly Inclusive Services for LGBT is intended to help you understand the unique challenges that LGBT people face as they get older, and provide you with some tools and strategies to ensure that LGBT older adults feel more included and safe in LGBT organizations.
The course begins with a profile of older LGBT adults, followed by a timeline of recent LGBT-related milestones. Ageism is discussed, as is the evolution of LGBT language. Practices that promote inclusion and safety are presented. Checklists for programs, services, advocacy, partnerships, policies, and procedures are provided. The course concludes with a glossary of aging terms.
This course is based upon material published by the National Resource Center on LGBT Aging and is available as an open access article.
This course on creating welcoming organizations for older LGBT adults is designed for social workers, professional counselors, psychologists, nurses, and substance abuse counselors, who do clinical work. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their understanding of the LGBT community as its members age. The course material includes information related to aging and the LGBT community. It may also be useful for licensed clinicians who require clinical continuing education courses for license renewal.
Authors: SAGE (Services and Advocacy for GLBT Elders) and the National Resource Center on LGBT Aging
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding aging in the LGBT community. Specifically, a professional will:
- Describe recent LGBT-related milestones
- Identify how a practitioner might learn the best language to use with each LGBT client
- Recognize best practices for the inclusion and safety of LGBT older adults
Citation: Age-Friendly Inclusive Services: A Practical Guide to Creating Welcoming LGBT Organizations. National Resource Center on LGBT Aging. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- The National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Ce-Classes.com has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6320. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Ce-Classes.com is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2023
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1712
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .