Suicide – Self-Directed Violence: the Problem; Risk Factors & Prevention
This is a detailed article published by the World Health Organization (WHO) that is also promulgated on the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) website as a reliable source of information. It explores the extent of self directed violence across the world. Statistics regarding national rates of suicide are provided as well as rates for non-fatal suicidal behavior and ideation, providing the participant with insight into cultural differences in this behavior. Risk factors for suicide are detailed, including biological and medical markers. Life events that may serve as precipitating factors as well as social and environmental factors are also reported.
The article goes to detail what can be done to prevent suicide. It covers the treatment of mental disorders, pharmacotherapy and behavioral approaches to prevention. The article also explores psychosocial interventions and community based efforts to prevent suicide. This publication provides excellent information regarding suicidal behavior, from the extent of the problem, to risk factors and treatment approaches.
Psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors, and marriage and family therapists can benefit from this course on suicide prevention. This course may also be helpful for dieticians and nutritionists who work with mental health populations or adults who are depressed. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their clinical skills.
Author: World Health Organization (Krug, et al. eds)
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding suicide and self directed violence across many countries. Specifically, a professional will:
· Identify life events that may be precipitating factors in suicidal behavior.
· Identify risk factors associated with suicidal behavior.
· Identify pharmacological, behavioral and psychosocial interventions to prevent suicide.
Citation: World Health Organization. World Report on Violence and Health. Chapter 7: Self Directed Violence. Krug EG et al., eds. Geneva, World Health Organization. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 3 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 171
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2020 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .