HIPAA – Summary of the the Privacy Rule
The Standards for Privacy of Individually Identifiable Health Information (the “Privacy Rule”) established, for the first time, a set of national standards for the protection of certain health information. This article provides a summary which explains the standards for the use and disclosure of individuals’ health information.
This is a detailed article that identifies who is covered by the Privacy Rule and describes what information is covered by the Privacy Rule. Finally it identifies who can legally receive disclosed information. This publication provides excellent information for the mental health professional, as confidentiality is a core element of the therapeutic process. This course provides the practitioner with a great deal of much needed information to protect themselves and their clients. Although courses regarding HIPPA are typically considered dry and boring, it is important for the practicing clinician to understand the rules and applications from the perspective of the federal government, this course allows the practitioner to read the rules and summary complied by the Health and Human Service Department.
Psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors and marriage and family therapists can benefit from this course. This course may also be helpful for other practitioners, such as midwives and dieticians and nutritionist who may work in team or multidisciplinary environments. This course is designed for both clinicians and administrators who are leaders in their agencies. It is particularly appropriate for supervisors, midlevel and upper level managers. It is targeted for intermediate and advanced practitioners.
This course may meet mandatory continuing education requirements for license renewal in the area of law and confidentiality. Please see your specific state board for details.
Author: United State Department of Health & Human Services, Office of Civil Rights
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with much needed information about legal issues and confidentiality in the area of HIPPA compliance. Specifically, a professional will:
· Identify who is covered by the Privacy Rule
· Describe what information is covered by the Privacy Rule
· Identify who can receive legally receive disclosed information
Citation: United State Department of Health & Human Services, Office of Civil Rights. Summary of the HIPPA Privacy Rule. HIPPA Compliance Assistance.
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 169
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2020 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .