HIPAA and Substance Abuse Records
This article examines The Confidentiality of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Patient Records. The article reviews when disclosures of patient records are permitted, it provides information about the need for consents forms for disclosures and identifies patient rights and notices regarding disclosures of information. This report is on the SAMSHA website.
This publication provides excellent information for the mental health professional, as confidentiality is a core element of the therapeutic process. This course provides the practitioner with a great deal of much needed information to protect themselves and their clients.
Psychologists, social workers, mental health counselors and marriage and family therapists can benefit from this course. This course may also be helpful for other practitioners, such as dieticians and nutritionists who may work in team or multidisciplinary environments with clients with substance abuse problems. This course is designed for both clinicians and administrators who are leaders in their agencies. It is particularly appropriate for supervisors, midlevel and upper level managers. It is targeted for intermediate and advanced practitioners.
This course may meet mandatory continuing education requirements for renewal in area of law and confidentiality. Please check with your state licensing board.
Author: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMSHA)
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the clinician with much needed information regarding confidentiality of substance abuse records under HIPPA guidelines. Specifically, a professional will:
· Describe when disclosures are permitted
· Recognize the need for consents forms for disclosures.
· Identify patient rights and notices regarding disclosures of information
Citation: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMSHA) (2004). The Confidentiality of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Patient Records Regulation and the HIPPA Privacy Rule: Implications for Alcohol and Substance Abuse Programs. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- This course is NOT available for NBCC credit.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2023
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 168
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .