Building Patient-Centered Medical Homes for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Patients and Families
One commonly used model for practice transformation is the patient-centered medical home (PCMH). The PCMH model transforms how primary care is coordinated and delivered by emphasizing comprehensive, team-based care that places the patient at the center. When implemented successfully, the PCMH model leads to higher quality care at a lower cost, improving both the patients’ and the providers’ experience of care. The Health Services Resource Administration (HRSA) supports health centers seeking to achieve PCMH recognition through the HRSA Accreditation and Patient-Centered Medical Home Recognition Initiative. This course uses the framework of a patient-centered medical home to improve health care and health outcomes specifically for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) patients and families. As an underserved and vulnerable population, LGBT people experience disparities in both health care and health status. Reducing these disparities and improving LGBT health are among the objectives in the US Department of Health and Human Services; Healthy People 2020 initiative. This course is based upon material published by the National LGBT Health Education Center, a program of the Fenway Institute, and is available as an open access article.
This course on patient-centered medical homes for LGBT patients and families is designed for social workers, professional counselors, psychologists, nurses, and substance abuse counselors, who do clinical work. This course is appropriate for beginning, intermediate and advanced level practitioners who wish to develop their understanding of LGBT patient-centered medical homes. The course material includes a review of health disparities faced by the LGBT community. It may also be useful for licensed clinicians who require clinical continuing education courses for license renewal.
Authors: Ignatius Bau, National LGBT Health Education Center
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding patient-centered medical homes for LGBT patients and families. Specifically, a professional will:
- Describe the health disparities faced by the LGBT community
- Identify ways to create a physical environment inclusive of LGBT patients and families
- Recognize how to provide culturally appropriate care to LGBT patients
Citation: Building Patient-Centered Medical Homes for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Patients and Families. National LGBT Health Education Center, a program of the Fenway Institute. May, 2016. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023
- The National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Ce-Classes.com has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6320. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Ce-Classes.com is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2023
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1668
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .