Opioid Overdose Toolkit by SAMHSA
Course Description: This course gives an overview of opioid overdose and treatment using Naloxone. Facts for community members include a discussion of the scope of the problem and strategies to prevent overdose deaths. First responders are given five essential steps to care for an overdose victim, and prescribers are given information on several topics including treating opioid overdose, legal and liability concerns, and claims coding and billing. Safety advice is presented for patients and their family members including the use, storage, and side effects of Naloxone. Finally, resources are presented for use by those recovering from opioid overdose and their families.
This course is based upon material published by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration and is available as an open-access article.
This course on opioid overdose and Naloxone is designed for those who work in substance abuse practitioners who wish to develop their knowledge of opioids and overdose treatment with Naloxone. The course material includes a review of opioid abuse in general and treatment with Naloxone specifically.
Authors: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding opioid overdose and Naloxone. Specifically, a professional will:
- Describe five essential steps for first responders to opioid overdose victims
- Identify safety suggestions for patients and family members
- Recognize resources helpful to the overdose survivor and his or her family members
Citation: SAMHSA (2016) Opioid Overdose Prevention Tool Kit HHS Publication No (SMA) 16-4742.
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- The National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) Ce-Classes.com has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6320. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Ce-Classes.com is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Florida Certification Board
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2023
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0223 Expires 2-2023
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners – CE-Classes.com meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors – CE-Classes.com meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1654
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2022 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2022.
This course is Non Interactive .