Principles of SA Prevention for Early Childhood
This research-based course presents seven principles of substance abuse prevention for early childhood. Risk and protective factors are discussed, as well as the importance of intervening in early childhood. A discussion of research-based early intervention substance abuse prevention programs includes universal, selective, and tiered programs, divided by the age group for whom they are most effective. Appendices include consideration of designing evidence-based interventions and selecting and implementing selected interventions.
This course is based upon material published by the National Institute on Drug Abuse and is available as an open access article.
This course on substance abuse prevention in early childhood is designed for social workers, professional counselors, psychologists, nurses, and substance abuse counselors, who do clinical work. This course is appropriate for beginning and intermediate level practitioners who wish to develop their understanding of the prevention of substance abuse in early childhood. The course material includes a literature review of substance abuse interventions for use with very young children. It may also be useful for licensed clinicians who require clinical continuing education courses for license renewal.
Authors: Elizabeth B. Robertson, Belinda E. Sims, and Eve E. Reider
Learning Objectives: This course will provide the practitioner with detailed information regarding the prevention of substance abuse in early childhood. Specifically, a professional will:
• Describe seven principles of substance abuse prevention for early childhood
• Identify protective and risk factors for substance abuse in early childhood
• Recognize research-based early intervention substance abuse prevention programs
Citation: National Institute of Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services. (2016). Principles of Substance Abuse Prevention for Early Childhood: A Research-Based Guide. Reviewed by TM DiDona, PhD 2018 and found to be current. For a full list of current references, please Click Here
This Ce-Classes.com course is approved for CE credit by:
- The American Psychological Association (APA) Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Ce-Classes.com, Provider #1142, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this course. ASWB Approval Period: 1/5/2020-1/5/2023 Social workers participating in this course will receive 6 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2021
- The California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by nationally recognized certifying bodies, such as APA, to satisfy renewal requirements.
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (CCAPP) Provider Number OS-12-147-0221 Expires 2-2021
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2021.
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: 1638
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2021
- New York Social Work Board – Ce-Classes.com is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0120.
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2020 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.
- The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/2020.
This course is Non Interactive .